Heart of Canal Street funds are raised primarily through Canal Street bingo games played during every bingo session from August through mid-December. The game costs $3 or $7, with half of the funds going to the winner of the game and the other half directed to charity recipients.
The 10 Heart of Canal Street signature charities, selected by the program’s media partners, include:
- ACTs Housing, presented by BizTimes Milwaukee
- ALS Association of Wisconsin, presented by Lamar Outdoor
- Arts at Large, presented by 88nine Radio Milwaukee
- Big Brothers Big Sisters of Metro MKE, presented by WITI Fox 6
- Girls On the Run, presented by Fox Sports Wisconsin
- Kids Matter, Inc., presented by Milwaukee Journal Sentinel
- Sharp Literacy, presented by Clear Channel Outdoor
- Special Olympics, presented by WTMJ TV
- Special Spaces, presented by Good Karma Brands
- Zachariah’s Acres, presented by CBS 58
Another 20 organizations will be chosen at random during a drawing on Nov. 19 to receive funds.
The 26th annual Heart of Canal Street campaign finale will be held Dec. 16. Last year’s fundraising total was more than $1.1 million, with each charity receiving more than $35,000.
Since 1994, Heart of Canal Street has raised more than $19 million.