TAPCO to move to Brown Deer

Traffic & Parking Control Co. Inc. (TAPCO) has outgrown its plant in Elm Grove and plans to move its headquarters to Brown Deer. The company will receive a $5.1 million Industrial Revenue Bond allocation from the Wisconsin Department of Commerce to acquire and equip an existing 128,000-square-foot production facility at 5100 W. Brown Deer Road.

With the move, the company will double its square footage, create 15 new jobs and invest more than $1 million to upgrade the site. TAPCO manufactures and distributes traffic signs and related equipment.

"We hope to boost our nationally distributed cataloging efforts as well as providing new customer friendly services like a quick turnaround – specialty sign shop," said TAPCO president and co-owner John Kugel. "We would like to personally thank the State of Wisconsin Department of Commerce, the MMAC (Metropolitan Milwaukee Association of Commerce) and the Village of Brown Deer for their diligent efforts to help a growing Wisconsin based business stay in Wisconsin. We will look to boost our employment immediately."

TAPCO was established in 1956 by Raymond Bergholz in the basement of his Wauwatosa home and now has more than 120 employees. The company plans to move to its new site by Jan. 1. The firm’s current facility at 800 Wall St. in Elm Grove is up for sale.

For more information about Department of Commerce programs and services, contact the Commerce area development manager at http://commerce.wi.gov/BD/BD-AreaDevManagers.html.

Sign up for BizTimes Daily Alerts

Stay up-to-date on the people, companies and issues that impact business in Milwaukee and Southeast Wisconsin

No posts to display