Potawatomi Bingo and Casino has awarded $989,239 to thirty children’s charities in the Milwaukee area as part of the 2011 Miracle on Canal Street program. Each charity received $32, 841. Since its inception the Miracle on Canal Street program has raised more than $11 million.
“It’s a privilege to be part of this program and to help the children these charities serve,” said Melanie Martin, bingo director at Potawatomi Bingo Casino. “We see our Miracle charities doing amazing things each and every year. Seeing the great services these organizations provide is truly inspiring.”
Money for the program is raised primarily through special Miracle bingo games. The funds have been accumulating throughout the year and the 2011 total was revealed during an event on Friday, Dec. 9 in the Casino’s Nest of Life Bingo Hall.
“Contributions received from Miracle on Canal Street mean more today than they ever have,” said Sherrie Tussler, executive director of Hunger Task Force. “Over the past several years, we’ve seen an increase in those seeking help – meaning more children and their families are reliant on the services we, and others like us, provide.”
Nearly 200 charities applied for a chance to be selected for the 2011 Miracle on Canal Street program. Twenty of this year’s charities were chosen through a random drawing held in August. The other 10 were selected as signature charities by the program’s media partners. Children’s charities throughout southeastern Wisconsin can apply for the 2012 program in late spring.
“The children we serve come from situations in which they’ve encountered incredible hardships,” said Susan Conwell, executive director of Kids Matter. “The funds we receive from Miracle on Canal Street will go a long way toward comforting the most vulnerable young people in our community.”
The organizations receiving funding from this year’s Miracle on Canal Street include:
- Agape Community Center of Milwaukee, Inc.
- Autism Society of Southeastern Wisconsin, Inc.
- Best Buddies Wisconsin
- Big Brothers Big Sisters of Metro Milwaukee, Inc.
- Big Brothers Big Sisters of Racine & Kenosha Counties, Inc.
- Center for Self Sufficiency, Inc.
- Christmas Clearing Council of Waukesha County
- Civic Music Association of Milwaukee, Inc.
- COA Youth and Family Centers
- Community Advocates, Inc.
- First Stage Children’s Theater
- Friends of Abused Families, Inc.
- Harry & Rose Samson Family Jewish Community Center, Inc.
- Hunger Task Force of Milwaukee, Inc.
- Keep Greater Milwaukee Beautiful, Inc.
- Kids Matter, Inc.
- Lutheran Social Services of Wisconsin, Inc.
- Milwaukee Public Library Foundation, Inc.
- Milwaukee Public Museum, Inc.
- Next Door Foundation
- Peace Learning Center of Milwaukee, Inc.
- Ronald McDonald House Charities of Eastern Wisconsin, Inc.
- Skylight Opera Theatre
- The Council for the Spanish Speaking, Inc.
- The Friends of the Mukwonago Community Library
- Variety – The Children’s Charity of Wisconsin, Inc.
- VSA Wisconsin, Inc.
- Wisconsin Community Services, Inc.
- Wisconsin Humane Society
- Zoological Society of Milwaukee