This photo, taken circa 1940 by James Conklin, shows the widening of Kilbourn Avenue near Eighth Street in Milwaukee. A Northwestern Wrecking Co. trailer is parked in front of a building being razed. The company was founded in 1926, grew quickly and was known in the field as the leading wrecking company of the northwest, according to a 1931 Milwaukee Sentinel article. It dissolved in 1999.
— This photo is from the Milwaukee Public Museum’s Photo Archives collection. Additional images can be viewed online at www.mpm.edu.