In-person performances part of Milwaukee Ballet’s modified plans for rest of season

The Baumgartner Center for Dance in the Third Ward.

Last updated on January 19th, 2021 at 02:40 pm

The Milwaukee Ballet is moving forward with plans to hold reduced-capacity, in-person performances for the remainder of its 2020-’21.

The company recently announced it will put on three, one-hour productions this spring and early summer.

While current physical distancing protocols have made large-scale productions nearly impossible, the Milwaukee Ballet said its “reimagined” season will feature shorter, mixed-repertory programs that can be rehearsed and performed more safely.

The three productions – “To the Pointe,” “Re.Gen,” and “Encore” – will have a running time of approximately one hour with no intermission. The exact number of available tickets will be adjusted based the gathering policies and occupancy restrictions at the time of the show, the company said.

Subscribers will receive priority access to in-person tickets one week prior to the general public, and tickets will be available on a first-come, first-served basis.

The organization said it is operating within current guidelines of the city of Milwaukee.

Show-goers are required to wear masks while inside the Baumgartner Center for Dance and maintain 6 feet of distance from other patrons.

The performances will also be filmed and available on-demand.

“To the Pointe” will run Feb. 25-28 and March 4-7; “Re.Gen” will run April 22-25 and April 28 – May 2; and “Encore” will run June 10-13.

“I am confident the balance of our season will delight and inspire fans of both classical and contemporary dance,” said artistic director Michael Pink. “We were proud to lead the way with returning to the stage in December with ‘The Nutcracker: Short & Sweet’ and are now pleased to continue in a manner that prioritizes the health and safety of our dancers, staff, and patrons, and continues to serve our community.”

Milwaukee Ballet said its fundraising efforts are now focused on supporting its recovery after the cancellation of performances last year dramatically reduced its earned revenue.

Other Milwaukee performing arts organizations have delayed their seasons in light of current public health orders.

The Milwaukee Repertory Theater moved what was scheduled as its 2020-’21 season lineup to 2021-’22, with plans to produce a full 12-play season starting September 2021. In the meantime, it is offering streamed productions.

Renaissance Theaterworks is also hosting virtual-only productions this season. It is producing a one-woman show, called NEAT, from March 12-April 4, that will be available via streaming.

The company, which recently moved to its new home at 255 S. Water St., said it will return to live, on-stage performances when health and safety conditions allow.

Get our email updates

Lauren Anderson covers health care, nonprofits and education for BizTimes. Lauren previously reported on education for the Waukesha Freeman. She graduated from the University of Wisconsin-Madison, where she studied journalism. In her free time, Lauren enjoys hiking, kayaking, and seeing live music.

No posts to display