Headquarters: Palo Alto, Calif.
Founded: 2004, originally just for college students, but was expanded in 2006 to anyone with an e-mail address.
CEO: Mark Zuckerberg
Original Founders: Mark Zuckerberg, Dustin Moskowitz and Chris Hughes
Membership: More than 50 million active users
Company Employees: 700
Tips from Sue Spaight Moorehead, director of strategy and planning at Jigsaw, LLC in Milwaukee, on the usage of Facebook as a medium for your company:
- Be relevant to the medium. Put a human face and personality behind the corporation. It is supposed to be social, not just an online brochure.
- Provide the means to fuel a passion or a desire. Engage people in their medium. Help them either with services, promotions or tips to engage an audience.
- Actively engage the people who are your company’s fans and followers on Facebook. They have the ability to spread the word and share content very easily.
- Must provide constant care and feeding. The new Facebook format allows users to be notified when people post new content. Keep posting and making changes to get more exposure.
- Seek customer input. Fans and users of Facebook want to be heard. Companies should utilize these outlets to listen to their customers and provide feedback whenever possible.