Last updated on July 2nd, 2019 at 09:47 am
New PR venture targets start-ups
Murphy Associates, Your Marketing Department, has launched PR-PDQ, focused specifically on public relations for start-ups and smaller companies.
The new venture is led by Judi Murphy, senior vice president and co-founder of the Brookfield firm.
“People can’t buy what they don’t know exists, so we decided to build a program that will get the word out quickly. PR-PDQ provides a quality program that will launch a start-up company’s public relations effort pretty darn quickly and at a reasonable price,” Murphy said.
Murphy co-founded the firm with her husband, John, in 1992 and has more than 20 years of innovation in public relations, marketing management, and thought leadership; she serves on many non-profit boards.
“We are pleased that Judi will continue to expand her expertise in public relations and strategic alliances,” said John Murphy, president and chief executive officer of the firm. “Her tailored approach, effectiveness, and personal attention have brought her high praise from her clients. Her years of experience with start-ups brings her unique perspective to those small companies. And, she’s fun to work with.”
‘Big League City’ will be theme of City Birthday Party
The public is invited to attend the Milwaukee City Birthday Party to be presented by the Milwaukee Press Club on Tuesday, Jan. 31, 2012, at The Grain Exchange Building, 225 E. Michigan St.
The event, dubbed by the club as the city’s largest networking event, will take place 5:30 to 8 p.m.
The city will celebrate its 166th birthday and its status as a “Big League City.” In addition to the championship performances of Milwaukee’s professional and college sports teams, the city boasts big league business, arts, nonprofits and more.
The Press Club also will be unveiling the Big League City MVP Contest that will lead up to the annual City of Milwaukee Birthday Party.
The party will feature gourmet food stations by Bartolotta Catering and a city birthday cake.
To register to attend, visit www.milwaukeepressclub.org.
Jumpstart 2012 with advice from area executives
Executives representing a diverse range of industries will share insights about the year ahead in business at the 11th annual Northern Trust Economic Trends Breakfast to be presented by BizTimes Media on Friday, Jan. 20. The event will provide southeastern Wisconsin business leaders with early forecasts about the worldwide trends that will affect their companies in 2012.
The panelists will include:
- Michael Knetter, Ph.D., an economist and president of the University of Wisconsin Foundation. Knetter serves as a research associate for the National Bureau of Economic Research. He serves as a consultant to the International Monetary Fund. He previously served as an associate dean of the MBA program and professor of international economics in the Amos Tuck School of Business at Dartmouth College. He also served as a senior staff economist for the Council of Economic Advisors for former Presidents George H.W. Bush and Bill Clinton. Knetter will provide his annual macro-economic outlook for the year ahead.
- Daniel Ariens, president and chief executive officer of Ariens Company, based in Brillion, Wis. Ariens Company manufactures outdoor power equipment for consumer and commercial use. Its products include walk-behind lawnmowers, riding lawn mowers, rear engine riders, string trimmers, tractors, zero turn mowers and snow blowers. The company sells its products through a dealer network, as well as home center and farm stores in the United States, Canada, and internationally. The company serves landscape contractors, golf, turf, and sports turf industries. Dan Ariens is the great-grandson of company founder Henry Ariens. During his tenure at the helm, Dan has led several strategic acquisitions, creating a family of brands that represent several of the most respected names in the consumer and commercial equipment markets, as well as the replacement parts and accessories segment of the industry. Ariens will speak about the economic challenges and opportunities facing Wisconsin manufacturers in 2012.
- Mark DiBlasi, president and CEO of Roadrunner Transportation Systems Inc. in Cudahy. Since joining Roadrunner, DiBlasi has transitioned the company from a single-service long-haul LTL (less than load) trucking company to a full-service transportation provider. Through organic growth and strategic acquisitions, the company has more than doubled in size since 2006, and its stock is now traded on the New York Stock Exchange. Roadrunner has annual sales of more than $771 million and more than 1,000 employees. Prior to joining Roadrunner, DiBlasi served as vice president of the Southern Division for FedEx Ground Inc. DiBlasi will speak about emerging trends in transportation and logistics.
- Bill Haack, chairman and CEO of Zywave Inc. Haack founded Zywave, a provider of best-in-class software solutions for insurance brokers and financial planners around the world, in 1995. He previously served as chairman and CEO of Frank F. Haack & Associates, which grew under his leadership to become the largest independent insurance brokerage in Wisconsin. Haack will speak about cutting edge business technologies.
- Frank Krejci, president and chief operating officer of Strattec Security Corp., a Milwaukee-based global manufacturer of automotive access products such as locks, key fobs, latches, handles power door mechanisms and contract die casting. Strattec has been providing parts to the automotive business for more than 100 years. The company has grown to have annual sales of more than $267 million and 2,500 employees, and its stock is traded on the Nasdaq Stock Exchange. Krejci’s prior experience included serving as an executive at Wisconsin Furniture, Briggs & Stratton Corp. and Cutler-Hammer. He earned a bachelor’s degree from Yale University and an MBA from Harvard Business School. Krejci will speak about the year ahead in the automotive industry.
- Sara Meaney, a partner at Hanson Dodge Creative, America’s “leading active lifestyle agency.” Based in Milwaukee’s Historic Third Ward, Hanson Dodge has been assisting brands to reach new audiences, embrace emerging technologies and distinguish themselves as market leaders for three decades. Recent clients that have sought Hanson Dodge’s brand-building services have included Wilson Sporting Goods, Trek Bicycle Corp., Wolverine Boots, Kmart and Volkswagen. Meaney will return for an encore of her presentation last year and discuss the latest trends for businesses in mobile technology and social media.
The 11th annual Northern Trust Economic Trends Breakfast will take place Friday, Jan. 20, 2012, at 7:30 a.m. at the Italian Conference Center in downtown Milwaukee. For additional information, visit www.biztimes.com/trends.