BizTimes Milwaukee has received notice that it has won six Awards for Editorial Excellence in Wisconsin Journalism from the Milwaukee Press Club.
The club recently announced preliminary results of its 83rd annual awards competition.
The awards to be given to BizTimes will include:
- Best Coverage of a Single News Topic or Event – BizTimes executive editor Steve Jagler, for his coverage and analysis of Obamacare.
- Best Beat Coverage – BizTimes managing editor Andrew Weiland, for his coverage of the real estate beat.
- Best Business Story or Series – BizTimes reporter Molly Newman, for her cover story about Leininkugel Brewing Co.
- Best Column – BizTimes contributing columnist Dan Steininger, for his column about business innovation.
- Best Overall Design of a Magazine – BizTimes designers Shelly Tabor and Picara Hay.
- Best Website Design – Biztimes.com, by the staff at BizTimes Media LLC.
This year’s contest garnered more than 500 entries from throughout Wisconsin in professional and collegiate divisions. The competition was judged by 25 professional journalists and press clubs from throughout the United States, including Florida, Idaho and Michigan and in Washington, D.C., Los Angeles, New Orleans, San Diego, San Francisco, Syracuse and Cleveland.
“These awards are testaments to the commitment to excellence by our entire staff,” said BizTimes publisher Dan Meyer.
The gold, silver or bronze award designations will be revealed to the winners at the club’s annual Gridiron Awards Dinner, which will be held Friday, May 17, at the Intercontinental Hotel in downtown Milwaukee.
The winner of MPC’s first ever Journalist of the Year Award also will be announced at the Gridiron Dinner.
The Gridiron Dinner also will feature the presentation of the Milwaukee Press Club’s Sacred Cat Award to ABC News political commentator/NPR political analyst Cokie Roberts.
Barry Alvarez, University of Wisconsin athletic director and former football coach, will receive the MPC’s Headliner Award at the Gridiron Dinner. The Headliner Awards are bestowed annually to newsmakers who are making a positive contribution to the community.
For additional information or to register to attend the Gridiron Awards Dinner, visit www.milwaukeepressclub.org.