The University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee Real Estate Foundation this week unveiled a list of eight locations that have been proposed by developers for a new 500- to 700-student residence building.
The developers and the sites that they have proposed are:
- Boulder Venture, Prospect Mall and parking lot at Prospect Avenue between Ivanhoe Place and Kenilworth Place.
- HD Development Co., northwest corner of East Locust Street and North Humboldt Boulevard.
- City of Milwaukee Housing Authority, undeveloped portion of Holton Terrace at 2825 N. Holton Street.
- HSI Development Partners LLC, just west of the intersection of North Water Street and Humboldt Avenue.
- Inland Newport II LLC, 2628-60 N. Humboldt Boulevard (east side of Humboldt, south of Center Street).
- Mandel Group Inc., Property that abuts the Milwaukee River corridor to the west, East North Avenue to the south, North Cambridge Avenue to the east and Wisconsin Paperboard to the north.
- Phelan Development LLC and Towne Investments, northeast corner of North Farwell Avenue and East Royal Place, 1774 N. Farwell Ave.
- Vetter Denk and Gilbane Development Co., 1300 E. Locust St.
The proposals are being presented to the UWM Real Estate Foundation this week. Then the foundation will decide which proposals merit further consideration. UWM hopes to have the new dorm completed in 2010.
UWM has 29,000 students, but only enough university housing for 3,000 students. The university is trying to add more housing for students. In January, UWM opened the RiverView Residence Hall, located on North Avenue along the Milwaukee River, which provides housing for about 475 students.