Last updated on July 2nd, 2019 at 10:59 am
Reconstruction of South Howell Avenue, the gateway to Milwaukee’s General Mitchell International Airport, will begin Monday, May. 19.
The Wisconsin Department of Transportation will coordinate a resurfacing of the street, also known as Wisconsin Highway 38, from Oakwood Road on the south in the City of Oak Creek to Grange Avenue on the north in the City of Milwaukee.
Construction in the project, which will cost at least $30 million, is scheduled until around Thanksgiving of this year.
Components of the project will include:
• The roadway will be milled and resurfaced with asphalt pavement.
• Project will add right turn lanes, extend some left turn lanes and modify some median openings.
• Traffic signals will be upgraded at eight existing intersections.
• New concrete sidewalk will be installed along Howell Avenue airport spur.
• The ramps will be milled and resurfaced with asphalt pavement.
There will be traffic delays and changing traffic patterns over the course of thes construction project.