LISC Milwaukee recently announced the finalists for the 12th annual Milwaukee Awards for Neighborhood Development Innovation (MANDI).
The winners will be announced at the annual MANDI Awards event which begins at 5 p.m. on Wednesday, March 30, at the Pfister Hotel in downtown Milwaukee. BizTimes Milwaukee is the media sponsor for the MANDI Awards.
The MANDI Award finalists are:
State Farm Insurance Building Blocks Award:
- Bishop’s Creek Family Housing, developed by CommonBond Communities, 4765 32nd St., Milwaukee, 55 apartments at a former tannery site.
- Silver City Townhomes, developed by Layton Boulevard West Neighbors and Wisconsin Redevelopment, West Pierce Street and South 35th Street, rent-to-own townhomes.
- King Drive Commons III, developed by Martin Luther King Economic Development Corp., 2719 Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. Dr., Milwaukee, apartments and townhomes.
- Olga Village Apartments, developed by the Housing Authority of the City of Milwaukee and United Community Center, 722 W. Washington St., Milwaukee, senior living facility.
Harris Bank Cornerstone Award:
- Growing Power Inc.
- Dave Boucher and Stephanie Shipley, urban pioneers changing Lisbon Ave. with their bakery and neighborhood projects.
- CC. Henderson, who transformed Milwaukee Health Services.
Joseph J. Zilber Award:
- Thrivent Building Neighborhoods, Thrivent Financial for Lutherans project in partnership with Habitat for Humanity.
Northern Trust Navigator Award:
- Connecting Caring Communities, bringing together resources for seniors in the Layton Boulevard area.
- Take Root Milwaukee/Milwaukee Homeownership Consortium, a city wide campaign, in response to the foreclosure crisis, that helps residents buy and keep homes.
- Wright Street Resource Center, brining together services for Riverwest neighbors.
Brewers Community Foundation Public Space Award:
- Alice’s Garden, a two-acre parcel in Lindsey Heights supporting 91 family gardens, and a variety of programs including yoga, youth programs and community pot lucks.
- The Walls Project, a memorial space for victims of violence designed by youth and artists in the Washington Park neighborhood.
- The Community Gardens at Kilbourn Park, 120 raised beds offering common ground for gardeners.
PNC Trail Blazer Award:
- Center for Family Prosperity, Riverworks Development Corporation.
- Family Advocacy Center, Sojourner Family Peace Center.
- St. Marcus Lutheran School.