Last updated on May 14th, 2019 at 03:03 am
President, Anguil Environmental Systems Inc.
8855 N. 55th St., Milwaukee | anguil.com
Industry: Manufacturing and environmental solutions Employees: 80
As early as Anguil can remember, he has worked for his family’s environmental and energy solutions technology manufacturing company, which was founded by his father, Gene Anguil, in 1978; but he never expected to one day become a second-generation leader. “I worked from a lawn boy to painter to installation crew, but had no real plans to come into the business after college. Unfortunately, our brother passed away from cancer in 1993 so at the time, it seemed like a good time to come back. My sister (Deb Anguil, chief operating officer) and I both entered the company around that time.”
- Family first, business second. “We always remember that family comes first. My sister and I co-run the company and my father has backed out of the day-to-day operations. It has its challenges, but we try to put our business hats on every day and make decisions. We’re not competing and we feel our personalities and skillsets complement one another’s and we think we are doing a good thing by cleaning air and water for future generations.”
- This year, the company turned 40 and has started involving the family’s third generation. “A lot of companies don’t make it to the second generation and now we have a nephew in the company. There are 12 other grandkids that are younger but there is the potential. As my father said, there could always be a spot (at the company) if they are interested, but I don’t necessarily steer them toward it. I want them to find their own way.”
- For him, forming a supportive network of employees, management and other business leaders is crucial to operating a company. “You need to realize that you don’t know everything and you can’t do everything on your own.”
- He is passionate about keeping the Earth clean for future generations. “As an outdoorsman myself, I want clean lakes, forests and mountains and to not have to look at the smog that is prevalent in a lot of places in the country. I have five children so, to me, it’s about leaving the Earth a better place than when you found it.”
- He takes his coffee with a little bit of cream and sugar.