Assistant Village Manager/ Community
General Contact Information: 4800 W. Green Brook Dr., 53223 (414) 371-3000 (414) 371-3053 (fax)
Comprehensive Plan: The Village of Brown Deer does not currently have a Comprehensive Plan. An RFP is scheduled to be released in Fall of 2007, with the creation of the plan to occur during 2008.
Basic process of approval or denial of a development plan:
• Simple projects that require site plan approval only (no rezoning, no CUP, not controversial) go to the Plan Commission after they are submitted to staff for review and recommendation.
• For CUP’s, PUD’s, and Rezonings we suggest going through Concept Approval first so the applicant does not waste precious time and money later on. CUP’s and Rezonings require review and recommendation to Village Board by Plan Commission. A public hearing (Class II Notice) is required before the Plan Commission. Notice is given by ordinance to all properties within 500′ of the property requesting the CUP and/or Rezoning. Village Board typically takes action on the Monday evening following the public hearing date.
• PUD’s require consultation with the Plan Commission first, then a general development plan and agreement which is received and recommended to Village Board by the Plan Commission. Public Hearing (Class II Notice) is also required.
• CUP’s & PUD’s get recorded at the register by deeds.
• All proposals are reviewed at Concept Stage by a staff committee which includes the Director of Community Development, building inspector, DPW superintendent, water superintendent, Engineer & GIS services manager, Police Department & NS Fire Department. The Director of Community Development is immediately responsible that all plans submitted meet all requirements.
• In the case of condominium plats, they are reviewed in the same manner that they review any subdivision plat. If a condo project is proposed in our planned unit development districts, they also require an agreement and a general development plan. The project also requires a public hearing for rezoning (PUD’s are like a rezoning).
Village Board: President Carl Krueger, Trustees Tim Schilz, Terry Boschert, Andrea Weddle, Gary Springman, Jeff Baker and Bob Oates.
• Village Board – 1st & 3rd Mondays, 7:00pm, Board Room
• Building Board – 1st & 3rd Mondays, 4:00pm, Board Room
• Plan Commission – 2nd Monday, 7:00pm, Board Room
• CDA – as needed
TIF Districts: There are currently three active TIF districts within the Village. They are located in the following areas: along the Teutonia Ave. and Bradley Road Corridors; along W. Brown Deer Road; and another within the original village area of Brown Deer.
Redevelopment Aid: Aid is offered through TIF funds, otherwise there are no other formal programs for Redevelopment Aid.
Projects: The Village of Brown Deer has several development projects in various stages of the approval process.
1) Rezoning $350
2) Conditional Permitted Use $300
3) Certified Survey Map Approval $200
4) Subdivision / Condo Plat Approval $350
5) Business Site & Operational Plan Approval $350
a. Engineering Staff Review $150
6) Preliminary Plat Review $550
7) Final Plat Review $350
8) Planned Development Project Plan Approval (New) $300
a. Amendment $150
9) Development Agreement Approval $200
Time Schedule for Plan Approval: On average the typical amount of time from submittal to final approval for a new development in the Village of Brown Deer depends on:
1) Whether a public hearing is required and
2) How complete the submitted work is. Until all the elements required on a site plan are included the Director of Community Development will not schedule the project for Plan Commission. Without rezoning, public hearing – 2 months to 3 months, With rezoning, public hearing – 2 months to 4 months.
Building or Growth Moratoria: There are none at this time.
Environmental Issues: There are no unique environmental issues in the community.
Single Development Department: The Community Services Department would take a proposal through the review process; however, several Village Departments are also involved with the overall review.
Internet Connection: www.browndeerwi.org
– Municipal Map
– Village Newsletter
– Meeting Schedules, agendas & minutes
– A listing of all relevant inspection permits & fees