This photo, taken circa 1937, shows a police station on the south side of Milwaukee. Above the doors of the station is the year 1886. The Milwaukee Police Department was established in 1855, and by 1888 had 181 officers. Today, the MPD has seven districts covered by approximately 1,800 officers.
— This photo is from the Milwaukee Public Museum’s Photo Archives collection.