Last updated on July 3rd, 2019 at 07:11 pm
Madalyn Manzeck creates bespoke, one-of-a-kind lingerie at her one-woman Port Washington startup, Madalyn Joy Designs LLC. She started the company after she began making her own lingerie while completing her bachelor’s in apparel and textile design at the University of Wisconsin-Madison. “I hated wearing bras growing up, thought they were super uncomfortable, and then when I was at UW-Madison, I ended up making a robe and fell in love with the idea of lingerie.” From start to finish, each garment takes two to three weeks to make.
- Manzeck meets with the client one-on-one at her Port Washington studio to take measurements and discuss the garment. “This way we’re able to find your measurements and make the garments to fit you.”
- The client fills out a form with their personal information, measurements and budget.
- Using the client’s preferences, often enhanced with the use of a Pinterest board, Manzeck sketches the garment and shows it to the client.
- Manzeck sources materials such as Chantilly lace and silk satin to create the garments. She makes a muslin design on a dress form to create the pattern before sewing the real thing.
- Madalyn Joy products include robes, bras, pajamas, bodysuits and other lingerie. Manzeck has shown some of her collections at Milwaukee Fashion Week. “With each collection there’s been a different theme. Those are inspirations from different places and what I’m inspired by at the most at the moment.”