The University of Wisconsin-Madison
moved up one spot among the nation's top public universities and Marquette University
maintained its position among the top 100 national higher education institutions in the latest rankings
released by U.S. News & World Report
UW was ranked No. 10 among public universities and No. 44 among national universities, up from No. 11 and No. 47 last year, respectively. Marquette remained tied for No. 86 among national universities.
The public universities that ranked ahead of UW-Madison were, in order: University of California-Berkeley, University of California-Los Angeles, University of Virginia, University of Michigan-Ann Arbor, University of North Carolina-Chapel Hill, College of William & Mary, Georgia Institute of Technology, University of California-Santa Barbara and the University of California-Irvine. The University of California-Davis, University of California-San Diego and University of Illinois-Urbana-Champaign, tied with UW-Madison ranking 10th for public universities.
Among regional universities in the Midwest, the Milwaukee School of Engineering
jumped up four spots from No. 15 to No. 11.
Each year, U.S. News ranks the country's top colleges and universities after placing them into different categories based on their mission and measuring different academic indicators on a weighted scale.
Here's a breakdown of how the 27 Wisconsin higher education institutions that ranked fared based on category:
National Liberal Arts Colleges
- University of Wisconsin, No. 44
- Marquette University, No. 86
- Edgewood College, No. 171
- Lawrence University, No. 60
- Beloit College, No. 62
- Ripon College, No. 113
- St. Norbert College, No. 132
- Carthage College, No. 154
- Northland College, No. 174
The top three ranked liberal arts colleges are all located in Massachusetts: Williams College, Amherst College and Wellesley College.
Regional Universities Midwest
Regional Colleges Midwest
- Milwaukee School of Engineering, No. 11
- University of Wisconsin-LaCrosse, No. 31
- University of Wisconsin-Superior, No. 36
- University of Wisconsin-Eau Claire, No. 37
- Maranantha Baptist University, No. 48
- University of Wisconsin-Steven's Point, No. 49
- University of Wisconsin-Whitewater, No. 49
- Carroll University, No. 56 (tie)
- Concordia University, No. 56 (tie)
- Alverno College, No. 63
- University of Wisconsin-Stout, No. 69
- University of Wisconsin-Oshkosh, No. 79
- Mount Mary University, No. 86
- University of Wisconsin-Green Bay, No. 86
- University of Wisconsin-River Falls, No. 91
- University of Wisconsin-Platteville, No. 94
- Marian University, No. 113
- Wisconsin Lutheran College, No. 20
The University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee was unranked.