Adolf Werner opened his Silversmith shop 130 years agoafter arriving in Milwaukee from Austria. Four generations later, A. Werner Silversmiths remains on North Water Street.
The 1,998-square-foot, two-story building is sandwiched between A.J. Bombers to the north and a small parking lot to the south.
Werner’s son, Leo, took the reins in 1940 and guided the business until his death in 1954, when it was turned over to Douglas Wied, who had begun an apprenticeship two years earlier, according to the company’s website.
Today, Douglas’ sons, Dennis and Michael Wied, operate the business.
Address: 1241 N. Water St.
Owner: Dennis & Laureen Wied and Michael & Heather Wied
Assessed: $167,000 ($120,000 for the land)