This photo shows a break in the dike at the Milwaukee Cement Co. quarry in Shorewood. The quarry operations, built in 1876, were among several in the Milwaukee area at that time but ended production in 1911. The location is now home to Estabrook Park, which was established in 1916.
—This photo is from the Milwaukee Public Museum’s Photo Archives collection. Additional images can be viewed online at www.mpm.edu.