Froedtert & The Medical College of Wisconsin
was ranked the fourth-best academic medical center in the country in an annual study released by Texas-based Vizient, Inc.
The rankings compared safety, timeliness, effectiveness, efficiency, equity and commitment to patient-centered care at more than 100 academic medical centers and 124 hospitals. Overall, Froedtert & MCW ranked behind only the University of Utah Hospitals and Clinics, New York University's Langone Medical Center and the Mayo Clinic Hospital in Rochester, Minnesota. The Milwaukee hospital network ranked No. 2 nationally in outpatient care behind the Langone Medical Center.
In order, the top 13 academic medical centers in the country, according to the study, were:
- University of Utah Hospitals and Clinics
- NYU Langone Medical Center
- Mayo Clinic Hospital-Rochester
- Froedtert & the Medical College of Wisconsin Froedtert Hospital
- Rush University Medical Center
- WVU Medicine West Virginia University Hospitals
- Penn State Milton S. Hershey Medical Center
- Cedars-Sinai Health System
- Houston Methodist
- Nebraska Medicine
- The Ohio State University Wexner Health System
- University of Michigan Hospitals and Health Centers
- University of Vermont Medical Center
Last year, Froedtert & MCW was ranked No. 5. It was the only hospital system in Wisconsin recognized for its outpatient care in the study.
“Of the many health care quality rankings out there today, we view Vizient’s as most meaningful because it evaluates all care provided at our hospital rather than just a certain subset of patients or conditions, which is the methodology sometimes used by other ranking organizations,” said Froedtert Hospital President Cathy Buck. “In addition to this comprehensive approach, Vizient also stringently compares us to our national academic medical center peers in areas that truly make a difference in improving health care quality.”
The rankings were included in Vizient's 2016 Quality and Accountability Study, which examines performance and quality of care at academic medical centers and hospitals around the country.