This photo, taken circa 1923, shows the Milwaukee garbage incinerator at the foot of Erie Street. The incinerator was built around 1900. The site is now occupied by Erie Street Plaza, a Riverwalk park next to the Sail Loft restaurant and along the Milwaukee River in the Historic Third Ward.
—This photo is from the Milwaukee Public Museum’s Photo Archives collection. Additional images can be viewed online at www.mpm.edu.