Health Care Heroes
The Health Care Heroes awards, presented by BizTimes Milwaukee, salute the accomplishments of people and organizations making a positive difference on the front lines of health care. Here is the full list of the 2019 Health Care Heroes Award winners: Lifetime Achievement
- Martin Schreiber, Former governor of Wisconsin, author of “My Two Elaines: Learning, Coping, and Surviving as an Alzheimer’s Caregiver”
Advancements in Health Care: Honors a company or individual primarily responsible for a scientific or discovery or for the development of a new medical product or procedure.
- Dr. Katja Kovacic, Gastroenterologist, Children’s Wisconsin
Behavioral Health: Honors an individual or an organization for their leadership, commitment and care on behavioral health issues.
- Crisis Resource Centers
- Dr. Terri deRoon-Cassini, Associate professor, Medical College of Wisconsin
- Dr. Adel Korkor, Founder, A.B Korkor Foundation for Mental Health
Community Service: Honors an individual or an organization for leadership in focusing on solving a particular health care issue.
- Monica Hebl, Dentist/owner, Burleigh Dental
- Joshua Knox, Physician assistant/clinical associate professor, Marquette University
Executive Leadership: Honors a senior-level individual who demonstrates strong skills in leading their organization in quality care, collaboration and financial management.
- Cheryl A. Maurana, PhD, Professor of Population Health and Senior Vice President for Strategic Academic Partnerships, Medical College of Wisconsin
First Responder: Honors a person who arrived on the scene of a healthcare emergency utilizing their training to treat and comfort the patient in need.
- Ladonna Davis, Licensed practical nurse , Community Care
Health Care Staff: Honors an individual who has made a significant difference in the well-being of others.
- Fabiola De Chico, Community health coordinator, Ascension St. Francis Hospital
- Bryan Lewis, Assistant to the dean for health-related professions, UW-Parkside
Nurse: Honors an individual from the nursing field whose performance on the job is considered exemplary by patients, peers and physicians.
- Barb Burmeister, Registered nurse, Froedtert Hospital
- Jeffrey Couillard, Registered nurse, Advanced Pain Management
Physician: Honors a physician whose performance on the job is considered exemplary by patients and peers.
- Dr. Madelaine Tully, Family practice physician, Progressive Community Health Centers
Volunteer: Honors an individual who has done volunteer work for the good of one or more people or the entire community.
- Dr. Peter Geiss, Medical director, Lake Area Free Clinic
Special Impact Award:
- Children’s Wisconsin, Discovered that vaping is causing serious lung problems in teenagers
- Friday, December 13, 2019
- Italian Community Center
Interested in sponsoring an event? To reap the benefits of the ultimate in-person marketing opportunity contact Linda Crawford, Director of Sales, to discuss opportunities. Event sponsorships are limited.